Wednesday 29 May 2013

Wednesday Wonder!

So I've decided to start a Wednesday Wonder post, where I talk about the book I'm reading, why I love it and some of my FAVOURITE quotes from the book so far!

Do you think this is a good idea?

sherlock gif photo: sherlock approves tumblr_ly88q4me3L1qbxmlr.gif

I hope you ALL know who Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) is, and you have seen the wonderous British TV show. If not, go watch it on Netflix. It is seriously ahmayzing.

This is my first WW post EVER, so I thought it should be about a book i've been waiting MONTHS for. MONTHS!
I felt like Sirius Black after he'd escaped from Azkaban.
And the worst thing was that when it came out on Friday, I didn't have enough money to buy it. 
BUT TODAY I DID.
And this is exactly how I feel.

supernatural gif photo: Supernatural. Super8.gif

And that book was......
GODDESS by Josephine Angelini, a Goddess herself!


I love that cover. It's so goshdarn beautiful. It's the English one and I honestly prefer it to the American one, maybe because it's slightly brighter? Who knows.

Synopsis:
UKShe must rise, or they will fall ...Helen's powers are increasing--and so is the distance between her and her mortal friends. To make matters worse, the Oracle reveals that a dangerous traitor is lurking among them, and all fingers point to Orion. Still unsure whether she loves him or Lucas, Helen is forced to make a terrifying decision, or risk all-out war. The final book in this heart-stopping trilogy.
US: After accidentally unleashing the gods from their captivity on Olympus, Helen must find a way to re-imprison them without starting a devastating war. But the gods are angry, and their thirst for blood already has a body count.
To make matters worse, the Oracle reveals that a diabolical Tyrant is lurking among them, which drives a wedge between the once-solid group of friends. As the gods use the Scions against one another, Lucas’s life hangs in the balance. Still unsure whether she loves him or Orion, Helen is forced to make a terrifying decision, for war is coming to her shores.
In Josephine Angelini’s compelling conclusion to the masterfully woven Starcrossed trilogy, a goddess must rise above it all to change a destiny that’s been written in the stars. With worlds built just as fast as they crumble, love and war collide in an all-out battle that will leave no question unanswered and no heart untouched.

Come on, how awesome does this book sound? And I can admit to you that yes, this book is INDEED awesome. I am 67% through the book, and thus do not yet know the ending. But I'm hoping for so much goodness to happen.

I love this book especially because of the historical context it has. It shows Helen in her past lives, as Scions (Demi-Gods) have multiple lives, and are born again in another life or several. This one is awesome because it has Guinevere and Arthur and Lancelot.
I've ALWAYS loved Greek Mythology, and this series is heavily based on Helen of Troy: "the face that launched a thousand ships".  Helen- the main character- is pretty much based after her, as Troy-Helen's face is passed down through the House of  Atreus after the curse/fate cast by Aphrodite (Helen of Troy's sister).
Bit of mythology for you there.
This is actually in the story, why there was a curse/fate cast by Aphrodite, and it's basically an intricate weave of love story.
It's awesome!

I'm a sucker for a good love story, and if any of you have read the other books, you'll know how complex and ANNOYING this one can be at times. My favourite quote to show that no matter what gets in the way, Helen will always love Lucas, is this paragraph:

"It's not that Helen forgot Hades's promise that the Fates would bring her to this. Nor did she forget his warning that as soon as she created her own world the gods would challenge her for it. She just didn't care. She'd build a whole new universe from scratch and send all of Olympus to Tartarus if she had to- anything, anything at all, to fix Lucas."

Come on.
How ridiculously AWESOME does that sound?! 

That's all for now folks, but I highly recommend you go read Starcrossed. 
Awesome doesn't cover it.

CIAO FOR NOW.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment